Winter is coming! Use your senses to recognize and respond to a gas leak
Fire, explosion, property damage or serious bodily injury can all occur from gas leaks. These leaks can come from appliances, damaged pipelines and gas meters.
Recognize: Protect your loved ones and yourself by using your sense of sight, sound and smell.
- A damaged connection to a gas appliance
- Dead or dying vegetation over or near pipeline areas
- Fire/explosion near a pipeline
- Exposed pipeline after an earthquake, fire or flood
Listen: hissing, whistling or roaring near gas line or appliance
Smell: Distinctive odor of natural gas
Respond: If you suspect a natural gas leak..
1. Don’t light a match candle or cigarette
2. Don’t turn electrical appliances or lights on or off
3. Don’t use your telephone or any device that could cause a spark
4. Evacuate the area to a safe location
5. Call The Gas Company at 1-800-427-2200 or 911
Information courtesy of The Gas Company