Keeping Your Pets Safe this Valentines Day!


 

 

Valentines Day is right around the corner. And yes it may be fun for us, humans, but it can harmful to your pets, One big way to show love for your pets is by keeping them safe. Valentine’s Day is famous for chocolates, flowers, cocktails and candy – all things that can be particularly harmful to our four-legged loved ones. Here are some helpful tips I have gathered from various pet websites to keep them safe and avoid any emergency trips to the veterinarian!

Flowers: Lilies are potentially fatal to cats. As pretty as they are, make sure to have an arrangement without lilies. Thorns on roses or other flowers can be dangerous for dogs or other pets. Biting, stepping on or swallowing stems with thorns increases risk for a puncture, which can result in serious infections internally or externally.

Chocolate: Although a favorite gift to give our human loved ones, chocolate is toxic to both dogs and cats. The darker the chocolate, the more toxic, but dark, milk, semi-sweet and baker’s chocolates all can cause adverse reactions. Make sure to keep the chocolate where pets can’t reach it.

Cocktails: Simply put, they pose a threat to your pets. Because of a pet’s small size, even a tiny amount of alcohol can cause problems. Be sure to keep those libations out of reach!

Candles: If ingested, candle wax can cause choking, upset stomach, vomiting or diarrhea. Be sure to blow out any unattended candles when you leave the room, as cats are notorious for jumping up on counters and other high surfaces!

Toss the ribbon and string: Gifts are a nice surprise on Valentine’s Day, but make sure to throw away any pretty ribbons and string they’ve been tied with. “For some reason it’s very instinctive for cats to eat it,” warns Dr. Murray of ASPCA. “It gets caught in their intestines and can saw right through them and cause a perforation.”

Keep sugar-free foods out of your pet’s reach:Xylitol, an artificial sweetener found in many types of sugar-free candies and baked goods, is toxic to dogs and can cause liver failure, says Dr. Murray. It’s best to read the ingredients list on any sugar-free foods and keep any products containing Xylitol out of your pet’s reach.

 

 **Should your pet get into mischief on Valentine’s Day, the ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center is available 24 hours a day, every day of the year at (888) 426-4435. (A $65 consultation fee may apply.)

 

 

 

And thank you for making me Your Orange County Real Estate Connection.     

www.MichaelCarusoRealEstate.com

Best regards,

Michael Caruso, Broker ABR ABRM CLHMS CRB CRS GREEN GRI

Past President, Orange County Association of Realtors (949) 753-7900

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s