Customers play a critical role in recognizing signs of a gas leak. Leaking gas from an appliance, damaged pipeline or gas meter could cause a fire, explosion, property damage or serious bodily injury. Use your senses, along with any of the following signs, to alert you to the presence of a gas leak:
-Dirt or water being thrown in the air
-Dead or dying vegetation (in otherwise moist area) over or near pipeline areas
-A fire or explosion near a pipeline
-Exposed pipeline after an earthquake, fire, flood, or other disaster
-An unusual sound, such as hissing, whistling or roaring sound near a pipeline
-The distinctive odor of natural gas (Some people may not be able to smell the odor because they have a diminished sense of small, olfactory fatigue (normal, temporary inability to distinguish an odor after prolonged exposure of it? Or because the odor is being masked or hidden by other odors that are present, such as cooking, damp, musty or chemical odors. In addition, certain conditions in pipe and soil can cause odor fade – the loss of odorant so that it is not detectable by smell.
If you detect signs of a natural gas leak, follow these steps:
-Don’t light a match, candle, or cigarette
-Don’t turn electrical appliances or lights on or off or use any device that could cause a spark
-Immediately evacuate the area and from a safe location, call The Gas Company at 1-800-427-2200, 24 hours a day, seven days a week; or call 911.
And thank you for making me Your Orange County Real Estate Connection.
Michael Caruso, Broker ABR ABRM CLHMS CRB CRS GREEN GRI
Past President, Orange County Association of Realtors (949) 753-7900