Around a billion Valentines are sent each year globally, making the day the second largest card-sending holiday of the year behind Christmas. So why not show a bit of extra love for the environment this Valentines Day. Here are a few ideas I have gathered for ways to GO GREEN this Valentines Day holiday!
– Cards made from recycled or tree-free paper (this will be indicated on the card)
– Consider sending an e-card instead using one of the many quality services around.
– Fair trade and/or organic chocolate
– Choose organic and/or locally grown flowers
– Make a donation to an environmental organization on behalf of the person.
– If you wish to give jewelry, consider pre-owned or purchasing from jewelers who are certified to be sourcing precious metals and gemstones in an ecologically and socially responsible manner. Or considering something really offbeat like a wooden ring – they look amazing.
– Buy the person a gift certificate for holistic therapies i.e. massage, naturopath, health spa.
– Arrange dinner at a local restaurant specializing in organic or locally grown food. Eating locally cuts down on food miles.
– Perhaps make dinner yourself using locally grown ingredients, accompanied by a nice organic wine. Set the mood with earth-friendly candles. The effort you put in will be sure to impress!
– Book a retreat in a wildlife reserve, park or natural area. Your business will help support the running of such establishments.
– Give natural perfumes and fragrances. Popular mainstream fragrances are chemical cocktails. By buying natural fragrances, you’ll be showing you not only care for the environment, but the person’s health.
And thank you for making me Your Orange County Real Estate Connection.
Michael Caruso, Broker ABR ABRM CLHMS CRB CRS GREEN GRI
Past President, Orange County Association of Realtors (949) 753-7900