Looking to hire a contractor? Whether you’re planning an addition for a growing family or simply catching up on some deferred maintenance, finding a competent contractor is the first step to successful home improvements.
Everyone has heard a story about the sloppy roofer, the careless carpenter or incompetent plumber. But to avoid hiring the contractor from hell, follow some smart tips:
- Interview each contractor you are considering.
- Compare bids (try to get 3 bids).
- Check for proper licensing and insurance.
- Get it in writing (get a contract).
- Secure your payments (make your check to a company, rather than an individual).
Be wary about the following conditions as they may indicate a unreliable contractor:
Thanks for making me Your Orange County Real Estate Connection.
Michael Caruso, Broker ABR ABRM CRB CRS GREEN GRI
2007 President, Orange County Association of Realtors