School is back in session and that means many of your teens are heading off to college. We remind them about the dangers of drinking, partying, walking alone, staying healthy, and keeping up with school – but we also need to remind them about fire safety.
Tell your teen to pay attention to campus fire rules and regulations. Here are some quick tips:
- Candles are usually not permitted in dorm rooms as they pose a fire hazard
- Make sure they are using only UL-approved lamps and appliances
- Warn them against hanging anything from sprinkler heads
- Locate the nearest fire exits and extinguishers
- Do not overload extension cords and power strips
- Never staple wires
- Watch out for cords and outlets too hot to touch, get them checked out
- Use the correct wattage for light bulbs
- Cook in designated areas only
- Never disable smoke alarms
Wishing you all a safe 2009-2010 school year!
And thank you for making me Your Orange County Real Estate Connection.
Michael Caruso, Broker ABR ABRM CRB CRS GREEN GRI
2007 President, Orange County Association of Realtors